We are looking for a talented Modelling & Simulation Engineer to join a small but highly capable team in developing robust models that will enable simulation and control strategy development for our revolutionary UAS platform, Stork. You'll be at the forefront of developing a genuinely different vehicle platform, a heavy lift parafoil drone that can revolutionise logistical operations, delivering critical supplies to those that need them the most.
Maybe you've been working on similar, mature systems for a while now, and you're looking for an exciting new challenge? At Animal Dynamics, you'll be working on a unique platform, and have scope across all systems.
- Mathematical modelling of high performing dynamic systems (including sub system components and system environment), including;
- models to support initial feasibility and concept proving studies
- models to support design development and trade-off studies
- models to support ground testing including hardware testing
- models to support trials programmes, including detailed trials evaluation
- full system reference models used to produce formal performance statements to support the certificate of design and design verification processes
- Development of aspects of the performance model to support development of Stork platform, establishing principles and techniques that improve quality and/or performance.
- Model design, implementation, test, reviews and preparation of supporting documentation
- Research into problem areas to advance knowledge, evaluate new theories and techniques and to solve specific problems: performing technical analyses and investigations into a full range of issues and problems, and prepare and develop solutions either individually or as a member of a project team
- Develop and maintain multi-physics dynamic models of various systems
- Perform trade-off studies in simulation to optimise design and define functional requirements
- Design and develop control and estimation algorithms
- Facilitate Hardware, Software and Pilot-in-the-loop testing
- Ensure that model design and architecture is fit for current needs and scalable and extendable to allow incorporation of future requirements and growth
- Providing advice on model and software design best practice with support from the team
- Engage with internal stakeholders who use the models, understand and respond to their needs and ensure that the model is fit for its intended use
We think you'll need the following skills and experience to succeed:
- A degree in a relevant subject (e.g. Systems Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or Physics), or equivalent knowledge grained through experience
- Experience of dynamic modelling of multi-physics systems (e.g. Mechanical, Electrical, Aerodynamic, Hydraulic) in MATLAB and Simulink
- System Identification for model validation and parameter estimation
- Understanding of modelling from mathematical specifications
- Knowledge and understanding of Dynamics, Control and estimation theory
- Knowledge and understanding of theoretical and numerical aerodynamics
- An innovative thinker and genuine problem solver
- Practical knowledge of basic systems engineering principles and processes
Bonus points will be awarded for:
- Design of dynamic models according to DO-331 guidelines
- Experience with acausal/physical modelling languages such as Simscape and/or Modelica
- Design of flight control systems
- Experience in autonomous aerial systems
- Understanding and ability with Python
- Familiarity with Unity and/or Unreal game engines
- Familiarity with C/C++/C#
- Experience in the development of autopilot systems
- Salary in the region of £41,500 - £50,000 pa, dependent on capability assessment during interview process
- EMI share options scheme
- Company discount scheme
- Flexible working
- 25 days annual leave, bank holidays, plus 3 days additional leave for Christmas closure
- Pension scheme (5% matched)
- New Career Development Framework to support your professional development
- Hybrid working - We require a level of on-site presence, but will accommodate your work style preferences if possible
This role is advertised as full-time but we want to hire the best person and would therefore consider part-time options.
Note to all applicants
Due to the security classification on the work we do, we will undertake a routine Baseline Personnel Security Standard check on the successful applicant. This is a standard process which includes references and career history checks.
For full details of how we will use your personal data please see our Recruitment Privacy Statement available at www.animal-dynamics.com/rps
About Animal Dynamics
We make vehicles that combine high efficiency with full autonomy and are able to do more with less impact on nature than other vehicles that perform the same tasks. Taking our inspiration from animals and the natural world, we can achieve significant improvements in the performance and efficiency of vehicles in water, air, and ground travel.
What motivates us is our desire to create original and worthwhile solutions to real problems. We are motivated to realise designs that will positively disrupt industries and technical approaches that have long been taken for granted.
Our current focus is on Stork, a family of vehicles which have been designed as highly energy and cost-efficient aerial systems for carrying loads. These vehicles are full-stack autonomous vehicles, with complex mechanical, electronic and software features. There is a range of vehicles on our roadmap, and we have demand for these products in a variety of international markets.
Based near Oxford, we are a friendly Company which is growing rapidly. We recruit talented, committed people who want to work in a stimulating and supportive environment.